SEO Mistakes to avoid on your Website
The world is increasingly relying on the power of having a digital presence as a way to catapult a business forward and experience significant growth. Having a website is part of the journey of getting there. However, registering a domain name and having your website hosted can only take you so far. The bulk of the work lies in ensuring that your website appears top on search engines to maximize reach and visibility to potential customers.
In the quest to implement SEO efforts to achieve a higher search ranking, it is easy to make mistakes that can hurt the visibility of your brand in the long run.
Here is a checklist of common SEO mistakes to help you to identify and fix these mistakes before they get out of hand.
- Keyword stuffing. The use of keywords is one of the efficient methods for your website to show up when a potential customer searches for anything related to your industry. However, it can be tempting to load up a lot of keywords in your content to speed up the process and rank highly in search engines. The use of such black hat tactics can backfire as it creates a poor user experience and drives visitors away since the quality of content is affected.
- Broken links on your website. Broken links, which is caused by links being moved or deleted on your site, is also an SEO mistake to avoid. Check for content with broken links on your site and fix them to avoid being penalized by search engines. Google uses crawlers to assess how web pages should rank. When these crawlers find a broken link, they stop exploring a page and move on to the next one, which hurts your SEO.
- Slow website. The speed of your website influences SEO. Slow websites are penalized with lower search rankings since search engines have to allocate more resources and consume more bandwidth to load them. Ensure that you fix any existing technical issues which might affect its performance and if all else fails, check if upgrading your hosting plan would help speed up your website. Check out our premium hosting plans here; Shared hosting/ VPS Servers for optimal performance.
- Non-mobile friendly website. In recent years, there has been an exponential rise in the number of searches from mobile phones, surpassing desktop searches. With the mobile search trend and Google penalizing sites that are not mobile-friendly, websites have to adapt. An unresponsive website is likely to hurt your SEO, making it harder to reach web users, which consequently reduces the number of conversions.
- Outdated content on your site. Revamping your old content improves the freshness score of your site, which boosts your search engine traffic and increases the effectiveness of your SEO efforts. Updating your older content regularly not only takes less effort, but it also delivers faster results. Add new links, keywords, update meta descriptions, and alt text to improve your site’s visibility.
- Choice of a web host. Your choice of web host affects a variety of factors which all greatly influence your search engine rankings. Overlooking security and the speed of your hosting packages can have a very negative impact on your SEO. Pay attention to the uptime of a web hosting company when choosing hosting packages. Frequent downtime, which makes your site inaccessible, leads to a drop in search engine rankings. An ideal uptime should be 99.99% to ensure your site is up and running round the clock, and we, Sasahost Team guarantee you stellar uptime.
SEO mistakes will not only lead to you losing your current ranking, but they will also increase the bounce rate and the eventual loss of conversions from your website. Fortunately, SEO mistakes are easy to avoid as long as you know what to look out for and mitigate them beforehand.