How to point domain to a new host (change domain nameservers)
How to get your domain nameservers
The first step is to find the list of nameservers from your new hosting provider. This information is usually provided on the company’s documentation page or in the post-purchase email. If you can’t find this information, contact your hosting provider.
At HOSTAFRICA, you can find it on the welcome email. The list of nameservers often looks like this:
Web hosts can provide two or more nameservers. Make a note of them as you’ll need to enter them into your domain registrar’s client area.
Changing the nameservers
The next step in pointing your domain name to HOSTAFRICA or a new host is to replace the domain’s old nameservers.
- To do this, login to the client area of the company from which you purchased your domain name.
- Then, go to domains on the dashboard and look for an option to set your domain’s nameservers. Note that every registrar is different, but in general, you can find these settings in the Domain Management section.
- In clientarea, go to active domains
- Click on the three dots on the domain you want to change the nameservers for. From the dropdown click on the first option change nameservers
- You will see several fields, such as Nameserver 1 (primary nameserver), Nameserver 2 (secondary nameserver), that will be filled with HOSTAFRICA’s default nameservers.
- Enter the nameservers into the appropriate fields. For example, a nameserver that begins with ns1 should be put into the Nameserver 1 field, if it starts with ns2 to Nameserver 2, and so on then click on the blue Button “Change Nameservers”.
- If your hosting provider only gives you two nameservers, but your registrar provides you with four or more fields, enter the first two, leaving the other ones empty.
- If your hosting provider gives you three nameservers, but your registrar only allows you to enter two, use the first two nameservers.
Alternatively you can ask Customer Support to add the new nameservers for you, by submitting a ticket from your client area.
Wait for DNS Propagation
Once the nameservers are set, you need to wait for the changes to take effect. The process typically takes up to 24 hours.
When moving to another hosting provider, you need to point your domain to the new host in order for your clients to access your website. And this is done by changing the domain’s nameservers to your new host. Get the details of your new nameservers, copy it into the domain’s management , and then wait for the DNS records to propagate.